The Hotel Boulderado is over 100 years old. It has been well-maintained and “recycled” for the past century. Over the past few years, we have focused our energy into making the hotel as green as possible.
- Office paper, cardboard, newspaper, plastic, glass, cans, coat hangers, carpet, carpet pad, batteries, computers, copper and metal pipes from maintenance, wood crates, wood products, motor oil, cooking oil, grease, and more …
- We use Western Disposal on a daily basis.
- We repurpose old linens for cleaning.
- We use recycled paper products and double-sided copies whenever possible to save 400 pounds of waste per month.
- In 2009, we reconfigured our recycle and waste disposal and are now able to recycle 200% more and reduce waste by 72% than before.
- In 2013, the Hotel Boulderado recycled nearly 158 tons of cardboard, plastic, glass bottles, newspapers, and office paper.
- Furniture, mattresses, lamps, case goods, partially-consumed shampoos, and other amenities are donated to local charities and homeless shelters.
- Leftover banquet food is provided to the Boulder Community Food Share Program. This is valued at over $8000 per year.
- All eyeglasses and sunglasses left in the hotel and not claimed go to Habitat for Humanity and charities.
- All used bath amenities (soap, shampoo/conditioner, etc) go to the Cheyenne River Lakota/Sioux Reservation in central South Dakota.
- When the Event Center was renovated in 2008, the hotel donated over 100 light fixtures to Habitat for Humanity.
- We donate towels, sheets, blankets, and pillows to homeless shelters and local charities.
We Use Environmentally Friendly Products and Services
- Our cleaning products are as friendly to the environment as possible.
- All of our carpet cleaning products are green.
- Our dry cleaner, Art Cleaners, uses non-toxic, environmentally-friendly products.
- Drain cleaners are natural enzymes.
- All solvents and soaps that we use are biodegradable.
- We don’t use any oil-based paints in the entire building.
- The flowers in our guest rooms and suites are provided by Veriflora, a certified sustainable nursery.
- Our Eldorado Springs water bottles are made from 100% recycled plastic.
- We use 100% recycled bath tissue in our guest rooms and public restrooms.
We Save Energy, Water, and Help Eliminate Waste
- We use a water recovery system to clean outside patios, etc.
- We use low flush toilets.
- We use 2.5 gpm aerators in the showers and 0.5 gpm aerators on all sink faucets.
- We use CFL (Compact Fluorescent Lamps) light bulbs in rooms and common areas where applicable. All T-12 fluorescent bulbs have been replaced with T-8s with electric bulbs.
- In vacant rooms we set the heat at a lower setting and the A/C at a higher setting.
- We honor guest requests for linen to be reused during their stay.
- We don’t automatically replace unused amenities.
- We have eliminated plastic and paper cups in the guest rooms and replaced them with china and glass.
- We place newspapers in central locations, rather than in each room.
- We have thermal blankets on our water heaters.
- We encourage our employees to use alternate methods of transportation by offering free Eco-Passes (bus pass) to all employees, and we provide bicycle racks. Over half of our employees have and use their Eco-Pass regularly.
- Computers are turned off in offices during the evening and weekends to conserve energy.
- Exit signs utilize LED lights.
- We purchased new HVAC units on the roof of the historic building and increased from 8 to 13 S.E.E.R. units.
- Our catering and restaurant kitchens compost 100%.
- Certified by the Environmental Protection Agency
- Partners for a Clean Environment
- Participating member of Climate Smart 10 for Change Program